Monday, July 9, 2012

5 Ways to Take New Construction to Vintage Charm


I've talked a little before about the debate Blake and I had before deciding to build our current house:
Old Vintage Charm (and all the fun that comes with it) or New Construction

As our friends gradually move more toward the "buying a house" stage, we've had this debate a number of times with each.  For us, building new was the way we chose to go - we had a great opportunity and we ran with it.

What catches my eye though is everything with character.

Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest


So how do you add that old vintage charm to a new construction home?  


Here are 5 ways that we've discovered help achieve "that" look...

1. Architectural Detail

Never underestimate the details.  Adding a chair rail.  Adding crown molding.  Giving your windows a wood-wrapper upgrade.  All are super easy DIY projects, that you can do on a budget and will give you that charm.  We added the above chair rail in our entryway.

2. Vintage Furniture

Nothing dates a house more than how it's decorated!  Use craigslist and local thriftstores.  Get pieces that look like they have a story.  As long as you are persistent, you can score all kinds of things for really cheap.

This piece, $40.  Score!
And really ANYBODY can update the furniture with a little sanding and a little paint.  Trust me.  If I can do it, YOU can do it.



Utilize Craigslist with the CraigsEasy button.  Search keywords like: vintage, antique, shabby chic, etc.



3. Trinkets

Thriftstores have a PLETHORA of trinkets.  Plan it for their 50% off sale days and then just go to town.  Rip old book covers off a hardback book and tie with twine - super cute!

Add a stenciled number or spray paint to pretty much anything, and it will give you that "old" look.


4. Timeless Finishings
If you have the opportunity, choose things like subway tile, arched doorways, etc that have lasted the test of time in the interior design world.

5. Typography

I'm not sure this is really an old charm thing or just my current obsession, but either way, it helps personalize the space and transform it out of the builder beige realm.




So there you have it - 5 Ways to transform New Construction to Vintage Charm.



What else can you do/have you done to your "new" space to make it look and feel older?  Am I crazy for wanting my new home to look old?  Leave a link - I'd love to see how you've done this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog