Thursday, July 26, 2012

Roadside Rescue - Transformation

I showed you the abandoned little guy I found on the side of the road the other day.


He needed some love.  And a new home.  And what a rush it is to pull over and throw a piece of furniture in your car!

Welcome to the Carbonatto household Mr. Roadside Rescue.


Whoa.  I went WAY out of my comfort zone in the color world on this one.  Fire Engine Orange.  EEK!


But Brecken is getting a new big boy room, and I think this will make the perfect little nightstand.


There were some serious spider webs that needed to be cleaned off (one of which did have a spider and I screamed absurdly loud late at night of course cleaning it).  It also needed some wood filler on the top surface (my first time using it!), a good sanding, some priming, and then of course some spray paint!


I kept the hardware original, and stenciled on an 84.  This kid is obsessed with numbers right now. Especially 8's and 4's.  This was the font I used.

The best part, aside from the free-99 price tag, it doubles as storage!


Perfect for a little boy.  Oh the treasures that can be stored!


I did an amateur job, at best, at lining it with some scrap grey seersucker fabric I had leftover from our old playroom bunting.  It does the trick.  Nothing a little hot glue can't solve!


So there you go!  Roadside Rescue numero uno in the books.  

I'm so excited to find another one now.  And to have a free, customized "new" nightstand for Brecken's room.  Score!

Again, here's the before:

And After:

{Have you rescued anything?  Do you feel like you can afford to be a little bolder with something that didn't cost you anything to start with?  What did you do?}


Linking to:
Delightful Order
Whipperberry
Liz Marie Blog
TT&J
Six Sisters Stuff

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful rescue Ashley - I'm glad to see you use that color, I have a project coming up with something similar and it was making me a little nervous, but yours looks so good I'm feeling calmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Love the finished product! I'm a new first time momma & first time adoptive momma, & my little guy would LOVE the storage in this! We've only just gotten home with him. Once he's settled in a little more, I'll be letting him help me pick out a theme for his room! I hope I can find some cool pieces to repurpose too! Love, Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh this looks fantastic. I always have hopes of finding furniture like this and cracking open a paint of tin...hasn't happened yet but when it does, look out world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one and love your blog! It is so cute! I am so glad to have found it and am your newest follower!! If you ever have time I would love to for you to check out mine!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great transformation! I love the color and all the little details you put into it. I definitely think I am bolder and more willing to experiment w/ things I've found for free or have paid nearly nothing for. I just discovered your blog after seeing your link on Liz Marie. I can't wait to see more of your projects! I'm now following you.

    Have a great weekend!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ashley! Great makeover! I love the fun color your chose. The numbered stencil was a nice idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun color, he will love it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lock on the front. Great find, and great job! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic little table. It just needed some love and care. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great color! I rescued a desk from the side of a dumpster, and it is the highlight of my DIY projects:

    Go to my site and on the right side of the page, you will see my ombré dumpster desk!!!

    Serena
    Thrift Diving

    ReplyDelete
  11. It turned out WONDERFUL !! I will be painting an old dark pine nightstand of mine ( from the 70's !) ; and I have some orange paint we never used , so this really got me motivated !! My paint is not as bright as yours ; but I think it's going to look good !

    ReplyDelete
  12. That has got to be THE best table I've ever seen pulled from the road ! SO Awesome !!! you are one lucky little lady !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in the process of refinishing a dresser and this is the EXACT color I want to use. Do you mind sharing the brand? Beautiful job refinishing. I'm so glad you kept the original hardware. It has so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! Excellent work, great color choice

    ReplyDelete
  15. I - like everyone else here - LOVE IT! Would you consider making one for me lol? Only half joking... Anyway, you should definitely sell your stuff that you make! My app TagSale is free to use and download. If you post something there for sale, I will fight off everyone for it! :) I've sent the link of this page to my sister. We're going to try to paint our table. Should be an epic fail... GREAT JOB!!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My Photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog

Loading...