Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DIY Grain Sack Tree Skirt

As I said yesterday, Christmas is here!

And I've got some fun projects to share that I've been working on!

First up:


I was originally inspired by this cover photo on this year's Souvenir Magazine - Christmas edition.







I just love the vintage charm that it adds to the Christmas decor.

So I headed to Home Depot, and picked up a simple 5'x5' drop cloth to start.

The steps were pretty simple, and I'd recommend just popping on some good Christmas tunes to keep you company.

Let's get started...

Step 1:
1.  Layout your drop cloth and iron out the wrinkles.  I put my iron on the lowest setting, and made sure to put a towel underneath so as not to sear anything to my lovely hardwood floors.  Husband would not have been too happy about that. :)

Step 2:
2.  I used our previous tree skirt, as seen under the tree yesterday, as a pattern. If you don't have a tree skirt to measure, you can simply use your math skills and measure out a circle to be your desired diameter.

Step 3:
3. Cut out said drop cloth following traced pattern.  Easy enough.

Step 4 & 5:
4.  Use a ruler, I determined the halfway point on the skirt, which happened to be at 11", and knew that would be the center of the thickest stripe.  I marked 11" all the way around the skirt because I'm terrible at eye-balling, and have always been a "color in the lines" type girl.  This stripe was 2 inches wide all the way around.

5.  For the smaller ticking stripe, I simply measured about an inch below the thicker stripe, and marked that all the way around the skirt.

I originally had marked off two thinner stripes, like the photo, but painting the stripes in took longer than I anticipated, so I bailed.  An additional thinner stripe probably would look a little better if I'm honest.


Step 5:
6.  I simply grabbed a small sponge brush and painted in my stripes all the way around.  The red that I used was Behr's Regal Red.  It happens to be the perfect Christmas red for my home this year, and I'm using it all over the place!

That's it!

It adds the perfect amount of vintage charm to the tree!


Not too shabby for $5.99!



Are you having a vintage Christmas?  How do you add vintage charm to your home without dropping a lot of money?


To see more of our Christmas decor click here.

Linking to:
DIY Showoff
Fireflies & Jellybeans
Shabby Art Boutique
The CSI Project
Liz Marie
Redoux Interiors
Design, Dining, and Diapers
Whipperberry
TT&J
Six Sisters Stuff

Update:
Visit thecsiproject.com

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I'm seriously in love with this!!! It's perfect. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm just getting ready to make a drop cloth skirted table with some rosettes with leftover fabric. This seems like another good way to use this inexpensive cloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Ashley! Simple and a great vintage vibe.

    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!
    Wildly Original linky party is open

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful tree skirt. This is an awesome project! I hope you will consider linking it up to the Pinworthy Projects Party over at my blog, Just Us Four.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly beautiful Ashley. I'm featuring this at tomorrow's Shabbilicious Friday party.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My Photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog

Loading...