Thursday, November 29, 2012

Throwback Thursday: Christmas Countdown Blocks

One of my most favorite crafts I have done to date is still the Christmas Countdown blocks that I crafted a few years ago.

Here's a walk through the steps on how you can re-create this simple, festive, and fun countdown for your decor!



{Materials You Will Need}:
  • Pair of wooden blocks. I picked mine up at Ben Franklin - they are 4x4
  • 8x2 wooden slab - also picked up at Ben Franklin as a package w/ the blocks. Only cost $5.99 on sale (together)
  • Acryllic paint of your choice (originally started with "Snow White" & "Red Brick"...but quickly changed my mind to Metallic Silver as you will see)
  • Red Vinyl - numbers (1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0) & "Days 'til Christmas"
  • Even though Mod Podge (lustre) & scrapbook paper are shown, I actually scrapped this idea once I began...pun intended

{Step 1}:
Paint wooden blocks color of choice. Here you can see I opted out of white and red, and went with some metallic silver that I had on hand.

{Step 2}:

Cut out desired stencil shape. I simply Googled a clip-art image of a snowflake. Printed it, cut out and began the stencil process. Any stencil cut to less than a 4x4 image though will work.

I chose a soft sage green color for the snowflake.

{Step 3}:
While the paint is drying (you are only able to do 3 sides at a time), I applied the vinyl onto the base wooden block according to the vinyl directions.

{Step 4}:
Almost done - this is what your blocks should look like. Ready to apply the vinyl numbers once your painted snowflakes are good and dry.

It looks like this:

{Step 5}:
Apply vinyl numbers. On one block, put numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and on the second block put numbers 6, 7, 8, 9, 1, 2. If the numbers aren't placed correctly - you're going to be counting down some crazy numbers. :)


On display this year,  and I still love them!

4 comments:

  1. Love this. Maybe someday I'll bring my non-crafty self to attempt it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! Great job! Would love if you'd join our Countdown to Christmas link party! Hope to see you there! Happy weekend! :)
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/2012_11_27_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. An oldie but goodie! LOVE and featured it! XO

    http://lollyjane.com/30-diy-christmas-advent-calendars/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this concept. Thank you so much for sharing it. I'll let you know if I end up doing it so you can see :) I'll do it someday, money is just tight this season due to unfortunate unemployment.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog