Thursday, January 3, 2013

DIY Photo Wallpaper: A Tutorial

The Photo Wallpaper in the play room is complete!


I'm so pleased with the statement that this adds!


Here's the amateur tutorial:

Step 1I mentioned here with my original inspiration post, and then again here for an in process update.

Step 2 - Gather your supplies

 You'll need:

  • pencil
  • tape measure
  • scissors
  • Scotch clear glue stick (with sponge applicator tip)
  • Engineering prints from Staples


Step 3 - Once you get your Engineering prints (mine were each 24x36" @ $3.49 each), begin adhering.   I started the process simply using little adhesive sticker squares, but they were leaving way too much "air" behind each print.


But then I realized, that if I simply used regular scotch clear glue that had a sponge applicator, I could get a fairly flat seam.

*Note: it's important to note apply TOO much glue, or your edges will wrinkle.  The engineering prints are pretty thin, so apply enough to make it stick, but realize that a little goes a long way.

Step 4 - measure, glue, cut....repeat.


Because this project was going up in the Disaster Zone, I could only work on it in chunks while the boys were sleeping.  Thus, it took me a LONG time to finish!


Things got a little tricky where the outlet was, so I took the cover off so I could cut a hole outlet-sized.


Step 5 - Step back and adore


The total cost of this project was just shy of $40.


I love it.

It adds the exact statement the playroom needs, and captures fun moments that spend time playing with our little men.


What do you think?  I think this would look really cool in a kids room, an entryway or even a hallway!

And just for fun, the official before and after:



LOVE!


Linking to:
Craftberry Bush Happy Hour
Fingerprints on the Fridge
Redoux Interiors
TT&J
I Heart Naptime
Liz Marie Blog
Thrifty Decor Chick
36th Avenue

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That looks really great. Having the collage on the wall actually makes the space looks bigger, too!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - so precious! Great job, Ash! I'll be pinning this for all to see! Do you think it'll be possible to switch out some of the panels with more updated photos? Soooo fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! I have been waiting to see how this turned out, love it! Wish I had a good spot in my playroom for it, it is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! I have a few of those engineer prints but it never occurred to me to use them to make wallpaper-cool project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!!! I would love a solid wall of cute pics of my kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an awesome idea! I love how it turned out. Soo fun! Oh, and I love how you call the playroom the "disaster zone". That is definitely a synonym for our playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great idea. Wish I had somewhere I could use this in our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it would be cute even to do in a hallway, or frame one of the collages if you don't have a huge wall!

      Delete
  8. Very fun idea and so nice to have pictures of your little ones displayed in such a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My Ash.....that is just precious! Too cute for words! Did you use wallpaper paste to attach the panels to the wall?

    Sylvia Alexander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia! Nope, just regular glue for this one!

      Delete
  10. So clever and so cute! Thanks for sharing. What a treasure for your family. I totally get finishing projects during nap time. I used to make the most of nap time with my twins. Sometimes I think I was more efficient then!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog