Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cabinet Chalkboards

As you know, the free section on Craigslist is a regular hang out of mine.  

And awhile back, I hit the jackpot of toss away cabinet jackpots.

I've had lofty intentions with said cabinets, but mostly, they've sat collecting more dust in our garage.

And then, Ms. Lolly Jane introduced me to a revolutionary new product (wow, flare the dramatics much Ash)...


Clear chalkboard coating.

Found at any local craft store (or online here) - I got mine at Hobby Lobby.

I quickly grabbed a bunch of cabinets that had otherwise been thrown away for trash, slapped a few coats of latex interior paint (because that's what I have a plethora of) on them, and began creating the cutest little cabinet chalkboards you ever did see.


I've got coral, mint, turquoise, navy...literally you name it, it can now be "chalkboard paint".  



Plus, an 8 oz bottle only will cost you $5.99 versus the (although wonderful), super expensive chalk PAINT coming in at upwards of $15 for a mere sample.




I added those adorable drawer pulls (but used spray adhesive to attach them upside down), and those serve as a great chalk tray.


So cute right?


I will tell you: the directions for the chalk paint coating calls for a 24 hour cure.  I never have patience to wait like that.  Who does?

Well, apparently, with this stuff, it's not a SUGGESTED direction - it's a must.  That little mint cabinet is currently getting a re-coat because I didn't follow instructions properly.  Whoops.


There you have it - the cutest little chalkboards using recycled materials you ever did see.

And although I do love the classic look of a black chalkboard, I must say, adding a little color to my life will prove to be a good change.



Linking to:
The Inspiration Gallery
Inspire Me Please
Weekend Wrap Up Party
A Vision To Remember
Six Sisters Stuff
Beneath My Heart

8 comments:

  1. Really cute idea and a great way to leave a sweet message for someone in the house randomly. I haven't ever seen the clear chalkboard coating before, but I will have to get some now to have some fun with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I just adore these... thanks for sharing! I LOVE the colors, too! Found you on the Inspire Me Please party, feel free to check out mine, too!
    http://mockingbird-taketwo.blogspot.com/2013/04/burlap-bubble-wreath-with-decor.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These ARE super cute Ashley! Looks like a great product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so, so cute! I love the colors! Now I'll have to try that product, too... thanks a lot lol. I'm visiting from Tater Tots and Jello! Hope you'll come visit sometime! Have a great weekend!

    -Bonnie @ Revolutionaries
    www.revolutionariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Umm hello!!! Gorgeous! That mint one is especially fab! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are super cute! Love the hardware turned upside down at the bottom! I would love if you would share this over at our blog hop http://www.ablossominglife.com/2013/04/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are absolutely adorable!! I think I need to make some for outside the kids' rooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Fun stuff- can you link back to our post, please (instead of our site.) Thanks mucho! (:

    http://lollyjane.com/chalkboard-any-surface-in-any-color/

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog