Thursday, June 13, 2013

Milk Paint Media Table

As you know by now, I love the finish and look of milk paint.

You simply can't replicate the chippy-goodness that naturally comes with milk paint.

Besides our dresser in the master, I haven't done a whole lot lately with the stuff as I've been on an ASCP kick.

Until now.


It started out simple enough.


Lots of dings and scratches, and a dated cherry finish (sorry if you're a big cherry fan).

1. I applied 2 coats of Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in Flow Blue.


It seemed plain and a little dull.

2. Using some ASCP in Pure White, I free-handed some details, and stenciled on the same french guy that I used for this little table last month.


Then, came the real experiment.

I've been wanting to truly refinish a wood top for awhile.  But the process seems so labor-intensive, and intimidating.

And, if I'm being honest, it is.  Slash was.

3. Lots of power sanding, scraping, more sanding, etc. and it looked as though I had piles of sawdust everywhere, but was making NO progress.

I decided though, eh, in true Ashley fashion, that's good enough. :)

4. Applied one coat of Minwax wipe on stain in Early American, and this is what it looked like while drying.



5. I let it dry for several hours (because the kids woke up from their naps), applied one coat of Polyurethane on the wood, and MMS furniture wax on the milk paint, and voila - my french milk paint media table was born!


It has a pull-out slider that'd be sweet to hold, oh I don't know, your cold lemonade?


And it's got this sweet media hole so I assume it's original purpose was for your cable box?


I'm a real expert at this stuff, can you tell?

I love milk paint.  Each piece turns out totally different than the last.


So it's like a choose your own adventure.  Except, you're not really choosing it. :)


Have you tried milk paint yet?

Do you have any staining techniques?  Especially the clean up part of it??

Linking to:
Redoux Interiors
Shabby Art Boutique

5 comments:

  1. Woot! Love it! I'm not a fan of refinishing...easier to slap on paint, but I do love the look :) I've done a couple projects with milk paint, hoping to do another one in a couple weeks...now to decide on a color! Super refresh Girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! i love how you painted the details! and i am a milk paint fan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color and the details you added! I haven't tried MMS milk paint yet, but I love General Finishes milk paint- it doesn't do that chippy thing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You never disappoint! Nice work!
    -Katie@mydiyhabits

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing just how different it looks Ashley. Beautiful paint job and a whole new look for your sweet table. Thanks for linking up at Shabbilicious Friday... I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog