Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chicken Wire Wall Tutorial

I am still loving our Chicken Wire Wall that we added to our entryway.


And I've received a lot of questions about the how's of it, so I thought I'd lay the steps out as best I could.


Supplies Needed:

  • Spray Paint (if you prefer to alter the natural silver color of chicken wire)
  • Wire Cutters or Hedge Sheers (I used the latter)
  • Measuring Tape
  • Staple gun with staples
  • Chicken Wire (or Poultry fencing/netting as it's formally called)


First, I measured my wall space, and figured I'd be able to cover the whole space with two strips from the chicken wire roll (that I got at Home Depot). 

I wanted the seems to be horizontal, but I think this is totally a personal style preference.

Honestly, I say lay it out in whatever way makes it easiest for you. For me, it almost fit perfect to do two strips horizontal without making a ton of "clips".



Second, chicken wire comes in silver. So I bought two cans of Rust-Oleum Antique Bronze and went to town.


I next laid the chicken wire it out onto my painting drop cloth, holding the ends down with spare cans of paint. 



Classy, I know.

I did this step (the drop cloth step), only because it was FREEZING outside, and weather is a bit unpredictable in Seattle. So I wanted to do it in the garage and not get caught in the rain (if you like pina coladas....). But if you can spray paint outside, do that. :)


It won't lay flat (or at least mine didn't), but that's okay.

From there, I basically spray painted it all (just one side is good enough to cover as long as you get most angles), let it dry and then you are ready to hang!

I did this step by myself over the course of two nights that Blake was out of town, so I don't have any pictures.

But I just used a normal staple gun and started stapling!


It's important to note, that I did realize quickly that I needed to spray paint the staples Antique Bronze as well (just the tops) before putting them into the staple gun. 

So don't forget to do that.

I then used the sheers to cut the edge so that it was as flesh against the edge of the wall as it could be.

Pretty simple - not a huge learning curve.  And is extremely cheap!

One small roll of chicken wire cost me $15, plus the two cans of spray paint - grand total of $20 for a wall treatment!



Let me know if there are some steps I missed or that sound confusing and I'm happy to answer them!

This is a one-person project that is cheap and relatively quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram It

About Me

My photo
I married my best friend in 2006, and we started a family in 2010. Our house is still a work in progress in becoming a home - who knew there would be so many projects with new construction?! I love flavored coffee creamers, reality TV and anything Husky sports-related. My confession is that I only make boxed cookies, don't do grocery delivery (they don't have samples!), and am slightly obsessed with being a mom to boys.

Follow by Email

Search My Blog